• Anglers injured in ice-fishing explosion

    by  • February 6, 2013 • Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    Two fishermen have been severely burned – while ice-fishing. The pair were sleeping happily in an ice-fishing hut on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire, when their propane gas stove exploded and blew one of the walls off the ice shack.  Ryan Gagne, 26, of Pelham, had  severe burns to his hands and upper body and was said to be in a critical condition. The explosion happened at 2am while both men were asleep. It blew one of the walls nearly 15 ft from the ice house. “These guys were extremely lucky that they were not injured more severely, and that they were close enough to shore to get help quickly,” said local fire chief Stephen Carrier. Gagne’s companion, Kevin Fitzpatrick, said: “Ryan must have got up to turn it on when it got cold and the valve was left on, apparently.  I just woke up to him panicking and freaking out. I didn’t hear the explosion or anything.” He added: “We’re definitely lucky to be alive. That’s for sure.”

    About

    Editor and publisher of Classic Angling magazine. Founder member of UK Angling Writers' Association and current chairman. Former winner of Writer of the Year. I wrote a weekly angling column for The Independent for 23 years, having previously written columns for The Guardian and Sunday Mirror. If it swims, I'll fish for it: marlin or mackerel, trout or tench, salmon or snook. I've written several books on fishing, from one for the Duke of Edinburgh's award to the notorious Catchmore Sharks (don't look at the pictures) and Bob Nudd's autobiography, How to be the World's Best Fisherman. I love exotic travel for fishing (been to Mongolia and Ecuador, the Great Barrier Reef and Arunachal Pradesh) and wish I could afford to do such trips more often. My favourite fish? Anything with fins, though I have a special love for mahseer, and I'm chairman of The Mahseer Trust.

    Leave a Reply